Cross Country Team
2019 Cross Country Tryouts – Information Letter
The WMS Cross Country team consists of two teams traveling together: Boys and Girls. You should be able to run for two miles without stopping. There is space for 12 girls and 12 boys for the travel team. Tryouts are on Tuesday, September 10, Wednesday, September 11 and and Thursday, September 12 after school until 4:00PM. Tryouts will consist of a 1.5 mile run. The top twelve finishers will be on the travel team. However, there is also a training team. Any athlete who tries out and chooses to remain on the team will be on the training team. Those on the training team who come to practices will be included in the HOME meets and are invited to the WHRHS Invitational.
Practices are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (on non-meet days) after school until the end of after school activities (4:00). You will need to arrange a ride home from practice until late busses begin. There will be no practice on meet days.
Visitors are welcome to all meets to cheer on the athletes. Home meets usually start between 3:30 and 3:45 (depending on the other team’s arrival) and they end around 4:15. Please arrange to be picked at 4:15.
On away meet days, the bus leaves immediately after school and arrives back at school between 5:00 and 5:30 PM. Please keep in contact with your parent/guardian and arrange to have someone at WMS to pick you up when the bus arrives. Coaches will not leave until all athletes are picked up so please be respectful of the coaches’ time.
What to bring to meets:
- WATER or Gatorade
- Running shoes and singlet (provided by team), running shorts (blue or black).
- If it is COOL, bring warm up pants, and jacket/sweatshirt to stay warm in between events. It is important to keep muscles warm.
- If it is rainy, bring rain gear. Athletes will run in the rain, but not if there is thunder and lightning.
- If you need to leave a meet early be sure to let the coach know prior to leaving
- Spectators are always welcome, especially at the Invitationals!
Mrs. Boni and Mrs. Bardy