Minutes for October 28, 2022 Archived MinutesSkip Navigation
A regular business meeting of the Board of Education was held this day at the Warren Middle School, 100 Old Stirling Road, Warren, NJ. The public was welcome to attend in person or virtually through the online Zoom platform. The following is a record of that meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 7:00 a.m. by Board President David Brezee.
Open Public Meeting Statement – Mr. Brezee read the following statement:
Re: Chapter 231 P.L. 1975: “The adequate notice of this regular meeting as required by the Open Public Meetings Act was provided by the posting, mailing/delivery, and filing of this notice on September 27 and October 17, 2022. This notice was on those dates posted on the bulletin board in the Township Office, sent to the Courier News, and TAP into Warren, and filed with the Township Clerk of the Township of Warren, all in accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Act.”
II. Pledge of Allegiance – Mr. Brezee led the assembly in the Pledge of Allegiance.
III. Roll Call
Present: Laura Keller, Patricia Zohn and David Brezee
Via Zoom Mark Bisci, Ryan Valentino, Todd Weinstein and Matthew Giacobbe,
Board Attorney, Cleary, Giacobbe, Alfieri & Jacobs
Absent: Daniel Croson
Also Present: Dr. Matthew Mingle, Superintendent, Christopher Heagele, Board Secretary, and members of the public and press.
Mehul Desai arrived at 7:04 a.m. in person
Lisa DiMaggio arrived at 7:13 a.m via zoom
IV. Public Hearing on Superintendent’s Contracts
● Mr. Brezee read the following Statement:
○ Chapter 53 requires Boards of Education to permit the public to comment on any changes or amendments to certain administrative contracts as they are renewed. Today, we are permitting public comment on the proposed contract of our Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Mingle. The Board will be voting to approve a new contract for 2022-2027. The public was invited to review this contract at the Board of Education office.
V. Opportunity for Public Comment on the Superintendent’s Contract
The following members unless otherwise noted, commented on the Superintendent’s contract:
● Mr. Adam Silver, Quail Run
● Mr. Timothy Connolly, Friar Tuck Court
● Mr. Stephen Toor, Nottingham Way
● Ms. Heather Silver, Quail Run
● Ms. Levia Spingarn-Gabel, Skyline Drive
● Ms. Ayanna Taylor, Highmount Avenue
● Ms. Rachel Singleton, Deerwood Trail West
● Ms. Nancy Andrews, WTEA President
● Ms. Vaishali Amberkar, Orchard Way
● Ms. Sophie Babbitt, WMS Student - Made comments on an injury sustained in gym class.
● Ms. Jansette Anz, Hill Hollow Road
● Mr. Peter Doss, Ellsworth Drive
● Ms. Jennifer Star, Knollcrest Road, Bedminster - Made comments on her daughter’s injury.
● Mr. Philip Jones, WTEA Vice President
● Ms. Nicolle Gameiro, King George Road
● Ms. Ilana Goldstein, Gates Ave
● Mr. Matthew Kiel, Winding Ridge Way
● Ms. Jamie Margolies, Quill Pen Way
● Mr. Jamal Saad, Hill Hollow Road
● Ms. Donna Gallo, Gates Ave
● Ms. Sara Byrne, Mountain View Road
● Mr. Craig Margolies, Quill Pen Way
● Mr. Adam Silver, Quail Run Road
● Mr. Jeff Heaney, WTAA President
● Mr. Kevin Brotspies, Sneider Road
● Ms. Heather Silver, Quail Run Road
VI. Motion to close the Public Hearing on the Superintendent’s Contract
On motion by Mrs. Zohn to close the public hearing, seconded by Mr. Desai, the motion was approved by a 8-0 voice vote.
VII. President's Remarks – Mr. David Brezee
● Mr. Brezee made comments on Dr. Mingle’s contract:
1. Mr. Brezee stated that the numbering and formatting has been changed, with the approval of the Interim Executive County Superintendent and Board Attorney.
2. Mr. Brezee gave background on the process that was followed by the Board that led to today’s hearing.
● Mr. Desai stated that the contract was negotiated with all board members' involvement.
● Ms. Keller made comments on Dr. Mingle’s contract and the district in general.
● Mr. Bisci asked about the tuition reimbursement provision of the contract. Board Attorney Matthew Giacobbe answered his questions.
● Board Attorney Matthew Giacobbe made general comments on Superintendent searches by other districts.
IX. Items for Board Consideration/Action
On motion by Ms. Keller, seconded by Mrs. Zohn, the consent item C.1. was approved by a 8-0 roll-call vote.
C. Personnel/Student Services
C.1. Employment Contract Approval
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education hereby approves a contract of employment between the Warren Township Board of Education and
Dr. Matthew Mingle as Superintendent of Schools for the period July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2027.
X. Public Commentary (any topic)
Note on public input at BOE meetings: Board Policy #0167, adopted on June 18, 2018, provides for public participation in Board of Education meetings. Such participation is governed by the following rules:
- A participant must be recognized by the presiding officer and must preface comments by an announcement of his/her name, address, and group affiliation, if applicable;
- Each statement made by a participant shall be limited to three minutes’ duration. If necessary, the public comment portion of the meeting may be extended fifteen minutes with Board approval;
- No participant may speak more than once on the same topic until all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard;
- All statements, questions, or inquiries shall be directed to the presiding officer and any questions or inquiries directed by a participant to another Board member shall be redirected to the presiding officer who shall determine if such statement, question, or inquiry shall be addressed by the presiding officer on behalf of the Board;
The portion of the meeting during which participation of the public is invited shall be limited to fifteen minutes (limit may be adjusted at the discretion of the presiding officer as circumstances dictate).
● Ms. Levia Spingarn-Gabel, Skyline Drive - Made comments on the Superintendent’s contract.
On motion by Mrs. Zohn to close public commentary, seconded by Mr. Desai, the motion was approved by a 8-0 voice vote.
On motion by Mrs. Zohn, seconded by Mr. Valentino, the meeting was adjourned at 8:09 a.m.
Minutes submitted by,
Last modified on Thursday, February 24, 2022